Rhubarb and Raspberry Meringue13.7.2018
Not only does this look divine, it tastes spectacular too!
Layers of meringue, smooth whipped cream and a sharp taste of raspberry come together to make this elegant pastel dessert. Recipe courtesy of Dr. Oetker.
- 4 sachets of Dr. Oetker Free Range Egg White Powder
- 250g (plus 50g) caster sugar
- A few drops of Dr. Oetker Food Colour Gel Blue
- A few drops of Dr. Oetker Food Colour Gel Pink
- A few drops of Dr. Oetker Food Colour Gel Violet
- A few drops of Dr. Oetker Food Colour Gel Orange
- 400g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 3cm lengths
- 200g raspberries
- 330ml whipping cream
- Put the egg white powder in a bowl, mix with 8tsp of warm water until smooth, gradually mix in 8tsp of warm water until combined.
- Heat the oven to 140C, 120C fan, gas 2. Line 2 large baking sheets with baking parchment and draw 4 x 17cm circles on each of them to use as templates.
- Whisk the eggs on a low speed at first, turning up the speed gradually to medium, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add 250g of the sugar 1tbsp at a time mixing well after each addition. Divide the meringue between 4 bowls and very gently fold into each, a few drops from one of the food colouring gels. Using a spatula, spread each mixture into a template on the baking sheets. Bake for 45 mins then leave to cool in the oven.
- Meanwhile in a wide saucepan heat the remaining sugar and 2tbsp of water until melted and, add the rhubarb and turn up the heat slightly. Poach for 6 mins of until tender. Using a slotted spoon transfer the tender rhubarb to a plate and the juices to a small saucepan, bubble for a few mins or until syrupy. Once cooled mix with the rhubarb and raspberries.
- Whip the cream until softly peaking. Put one of the meringues on a serving dish spread with some of the cream, then drizzle over some of the rhubarb and raspberry mixture and juices, repeat with the remaining layers leaving the top plain.